Thursday, November 6, 2008

A mixed bag

So. I'm obviously elated about Obama... and frustrated about Prop 8.

But.... I just spent a good little while poring over the petition that was filed today to prevent the enforcement of Prop 8 and, hopefully, to overturn it.

Let me tell you, it's good. It's really, really good. This single petition holds up a whole basketful of different reasons why Prop 8 should not stand. It's really... pretty dope! Not to mention, I have to believe that the Court would be frustrated by the efforts of a group of people, largely comprised of religious organizations and out-of-staters, to subvert its decision and to keep it from doing its job. The point is, even with things up in the air, there is a good deal of hope on the horizon. And it all makes me just gnash my teeth with eagerness to become a lawyer.... if only I could skip law school LOL.

Should anyone else wish to read the petition, it's available here.

Also: a really interesting non-technical legal analysis from Slate.com

No comments:

Post a Comment